Monday, October 3, 2011

When opportunity knocks

"I was seldom able to see an opportunity until it had ceased to be one." - Mark Twain

The first time I stepped up on stage to sing karaoke turned out to be more than an eye opening experience, it was, in a sense, a door opening experience.  I found myself stuck in a small town, unable to escape the rumors and nonsense "chitter-chatter", so instead of hearing about it I decided I was going to be "it". 

I worked at a small bar and grill on the other side of town where they coincidentally ran karaoke every week.  It became clear to me that there were the "stars" of the bar that were everyone's favorites so I became hesitant to start singing because I didn't want to step on anyone's toes, especially those of my co-workers who sang.  Things could get ugly quick!  Well, I sang anyway, and to my surprise, my co-worker immediately complimented my voice and told me about a contest that would be starting in the next couple months.  This was the first time I had heard about the WeFest Karaoke Contest and, little did I know, it was going change my life from that moment on.

I thought long and hard about what my co-worker had told me about the contest. This was a major opportunity.  Althought it was a small step, I could see that it could have major results in my life as a singer. I mean, you have to start small right?  That is what karaoke is about anyway, starting small.  This contest was a small step with HUGE prizes.  For winning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, these prizes included: opening on stage for a major country act, $1,500 cash, VIP camping package and studio time.  It was a no-brainer.  What if I got noticed?  What if I was able to get studio time and have them record me?  The suspense and anticipation was killing me.  I searched long and hard for the songs I was going to sing and signed up for the contest that night.

For me, there has always been a calling to do something different than the norm.  My friends and family used to make fun of karaoke singers, but I have always stayed true to what I felt was necessary for me to thrive.  One of favorite motivators -- and someone who has helped me change into a better person throughout this journey-- Dr. Phil, says it perfect when he writes in his latest book Self Matters, "The need for self-expression can be an enormous drive from within, prompting choice that often puzzle friends and family."  Well, singing is my expression.  This choice puzzled friends and family for a long time until I started winning contests and prizes.  As you can imagine, their thoughts about karaoke changed. 

I would love to hear other people's stories about karaoke.  What have the opportunities looked like for them?  Where have karaoke contests taken them?  What doors have opened because of these contests?  Hearing other stories helps put my own singing into perspective.  I now know that the more I network, the more my name gets out there.  I have a YouTube account, band-offers and singing gigs all because of the choice I made that night to listen to my co-worker and sign up for the WeFest karaoke contest.  Yes, it's that simple. 

-Maryoke

No comments:

Post a Comment