Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Karaoke, where can I go from here?

Karaoke, you've been good to me, but where can I go frome here? 

I sit and I contemplate all that I have accomplished from karaoke; I guess you could say I am on a "karaoke hiatus" where I am lazily trying to figure out my next move.  I use the word lazily because I am so busy with school and work, so I am just taking it a day at a time.  Oh, the bittersweet memories I have of all the competitions though. Is it appropriate for me to put a sad face emoticon? =(  Maybe with a tear coming down?  =-(  That's better.


There have been a few competitions that have put me on the map in terms of karaoke success, such as the contest at The Reef where I won tickets to Vegas, or the contest at Mr. D's where I was able to open for Hairball in front of thousands of people.  Although these were great achievments and stepping stones, there is still one competition that I haven't been able to conquer; The WeFest Karaoke Contest.  In this contest I placed 4th two years in a row.  Just a remember now, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners were awarded a huge prize package including: singing on stage in front of fifty some thousand people for a huge country artist, 2,500 dollars, studio time and VIP package.  Bummer, right?  I was devastated.  I sang Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight one year and When the Lights go down by Faith Hill the next (i'm trying to get this uploaded).  This is a six state, six month long competition, so needless to say, I was devastated when I lost and I don't know if I have the drive or energy to do it again.

What are the options for me if I dont compete in this competition again?  Did I give up too soon?  Does this make me a quitter?  There are many things for me to consider now.  One of these things to consider is giving up on karaoke alltogether and branching off to start writing my own music.  Over the years I have heard comments like, "you aren't a real singer if you sing karaoke".  This is not true, I am an artist that takes what other people have sang and make it my own (as you can see by watching the videos).  An article that really stood out to me when I started researching into what I wanted to do with my singing career was In Defense of Cover Songs by Don Cusic.  What I understood from Cusic's article is that if I start writing, thats great, but if I stay and do karaoke, that's ok too because he explains:

"The singer/songwriter should be the exception and not the rule.  Songwriting should be an honored profession all of its own.  And cover recordings should be a way for singers and musicians to express their creativity that is as honest and authentic as music can be". 

I love hearing other people's P.O.V's because they strengthen my belief that karaoke is a way to step into the limelight, even if it is baby steps.  I am just trying to take this previously mentioned hiatus and really contemplate, relax and listen to that inner voice inside me that tells me what the best choice for me is.  I am leaning on the decision to write my own music and I feel like to write music, you have to be in a contemplative state, just like Cusic also points out when he says that "songwriting is an art that requires quiet reflection away from the public eye".  My "public eye" means karaoke contests.  I shouldn't waste all my energy trying to learn other peoples songs when I should be learning my own.  It only makes sense to strive for more, since I feel karaoke dissapointments stomping the passion of music out of me. 

I may need a lot more time to think.  Writing about this only makes me think more. 
Until next time,
Maryoke

1 comment:

  1. I like your exploration of the idea of a sustained Karaoke "career" if you will... where does one go from a successful Karaoke career? Is it possible to stay content and challenged in this sphere? Probably! But what would that look like? What challenges do Karaoke singers face as they try to transition into a so-called more legit arena of professional music? I like that you're exploring the positive potential and legitimacy of Karaoke as a springboard. You drop a quote in above, but perhaps try to integrate it more smoothly (and proofread :)). I really enjoy your conversation on this subject. Awesome, also, to hear about your own experiences. I would like to hear you sing!

    ReplyDelete